Stalked by the Stork...a diary of raising twelve kids

Having twelve children is an amazing blessing and one heck of a crazy ride. Join us through all the joys, smiles, tribulations and trials as we navigate this fabulous journey!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The HCG Saga Continues...

It's been an eventful, yet still confusing couple of days. I went to see my Obstetrician yesterday (yes, even though I almost always see my beloved midwife, Tammy, I DO also have an OB that Tammy works with, and she is pretty cool herself!) I discussed with Dr. Gingrich the fact that my HCG levels were so low and had gone only from 13 to 16 and we both agreed that this meant the pregnancy was not viable. We discussed the fear that it could be ectopic, but Dr. Gingrich reminded me that since my levels were so super low, there isn't anything that could be seen on an ultrasound.
I went back today to get follow up HCG levels and to my surprise- they doubled. Doubling is what they are supposed to do. So now what? Ashley (Tammy's daughter) called and told me that Dr. G still feels that this pregnancy is non-viable based on the previous low level and the fact that it barely inched up from Friday to Sunday. She said I could come in for a methotrexate injection or a D&C.
At that point, things started spinning around in my head way to quickly. The levels doubled like they should, yet the pregnancy is still most likely non viable. All I could think of was that I wasn't ready to do anything just yet, in view of these new tests. I asked if I could safely wait a week and Dr. Gingrich said I could. Well, more specifically Ashley said Dr. Gingrich said I could. But you get the point. Dr. Gingrich also said that she didn't want me to wait too long and allow those numbers to rise too much more because of the fear that this could be ectopic. So then I was confused. Why offer a D&C if the fear is that its ectopic? Isn't a D&C a uterine procedure? How would that help at all if the pregnancy is ectopic? Perhaps she intended on the D&C being a starting point and if she found nothing there,then that would give more clues to the fact that the pregnancy could be in a fallopian tube. The other option, a methotrexate injection would mean I'd need to stop nursing, I'm not certain for how long, so I don't want to jump to that either.
And then there is the fact that- well, the numbers doubled. Like they are supposed to. Like we'd prayed for them to. I can't just jump to the conclusion, regardless of how likely it is to be absolutely correct, that the baby has no chance. I want...I need to wait and see, will it double again? And again? And if it does, doesn't that start to change things? And then, back to the D&C option...if the pregnancy is ectopic, wouldn't the D&C be useless, and if its a failed uterine pregnancy, eventually wouldn't it abort on its own, making the D&C needless? I am so confused. So confused.
What Dr. Gingrich, and Tammy, and Albert and I are afraid of is this scenario- the pregnancy could be ectopic, and therefore totally and absolutely non-viable. The longer we sit on this, and wait and watch, and the higher those HCG numbers rise, the larger that baby grows in the fallopian tube. And it could rupture and will eventually rupture if un-treated. Then we'd have a life threatening emergency for me, a loss of the tube and the half of fertility that comes with it.
I wish that there was something that could be done to take a look at the fallopian tube to see if the pregnancy is there or not. That would be so immensely helpful in making this decision.
This situation is very draining. The decisions and choices feel very heavy and obviously there is a lot at stake if I choose wrong. So for now, I am taking a few days off and just waiting. I'm laying low and being grateful for the fact that right now, on THIS day, I have Baby Penguin still here, regardless of what happens tomorrow. Next Monday I will get labs again. And we'll hopefully have a clearer picture. If levels have plummeted or barely moved up we'll probably move forward with the D&C and see what happens that way. If they double or rise sharply then we take it one day at at time past that. I'll keep you all updated. Thank you all for the prayers. I appreciate them tremendously.


The Collins Family said...

I'm thinking about and praying for you Ang. You really are in an impossible situation and I pray that God will give you wisdom and peace.

Dawn said...

You sweet lady... Of course the Lord knows this baby inside & out already. He knows what will be best for you. Prayers for your peace of mind and comfort, no matter the outcome... and of course, mostly prayers for a healthy baby :)

Anonymous said...

I think you're asking some very important questions! Not sure how an ectopic pg is dealt with but a D&C sounds totally useless to me. For what it's worth, I'd insist on an u/s. If nothing shows up, okay. But there's a chance that something can be seen!
Stopping by to let you know I'm here praying!
Psalms 62:5-8 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Anonymous said...

Any update on Baby Penguin?!
Well known words but what comfort they give! Praying!
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Lori said...

I'm sorry you are going through this. I admit to being totally confused why they wouldn't do an ultrasound before a D&C. I did fertility treatments and they routinely did an ultrasound to make sure the sac was in the uterus at around 5.5 weeks. Before you do anything I would insist on an ultrasound.

Anonymous said...

Keep hoping for a new update....
Am here praying!
Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Anonymous said...

Keep hoping for news...still praying hard!
Psalms 25:4-5 Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
Prayer Bears
My email address

co wendy said...

There are discount nike jordans discussions about a ugg pas cher new round of negotiations to solve the crisis in Ukraine, will be held in Berlin, discount christian louboutin Germany, January 5th. It is Discount LV Handbags reported that christian louboutin remise 50% the talks will ugg soldes have representatives in Russia, Ukraine, cheap jordans Germany and France ugg jointly participate in cheap christian louboutin the Quartet. The negotiations also known as Bags Louis Vuitton "Normandy mode" ugg australia talks.Reported that a German diplomat said that the four countries may be in the near future, will conduct a meeting between the Foreign Minister.Reported that the 2nd, Russia, Cheap LV Handbags Ukraine, Germany and France foreign ministers are meeting in the phone and expressed his willingness to develop a timetable for christian louboutin shoes a peaceful solution uggs outlet to the crisis in Ukraine for wholesale jordan shoes further contact, and decided christian louboutin on January Discount Louis Vuitton 5 were meeting in Berlin.Reported earlier in December 2014, the President of Christian Louboutin Daffodile Ukraine Poroshenko has said, "Normandy mode" talks ugg boots with Germany, France, Russia, Ukraine uggs on sale four countries will meet in the capital of Kazakhstan, Astana, 15 January.It is reported that the origin of the "Normandy mode" is in early talks with the name in June 2014, the Russian President Vladimir Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags Putin, French President Francois Hollande, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and President of Ukraine Poroshenko, Normandy, Christian Louboutin Bois Dore France held a discussion cheap nike jordan shoes to solve Air Jordan 11 Gamma Blue Meeting Ukraine crisis.

mao qiuyun said...

juicy couture outlet
soccer jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
hermes bags,
christian louboutin outlet
louis vuitton bags,
louis vuitton handbags
cheap nfl jerseys,
fitflop shoes
ugg boots,
oakley sunglasses wholesale,
michael kors uk
michael kors outlet
the north face clearance
manchester united jersey
iphone 6 cases
michael kors uk
rolex watches
coach outlet store,
giuseppe zanotti outlet
converse all star
air max 2015
mcm handbags
michael kors factory outlet,
michael kors factory outlet,
cheap soccer jerseys
true religion jeans,
tory burch shoes
hermes birkin
coach outlet
tory burch outlet online
oakley sunglasses

Related Posts with Thumbnails
voyeur porn porn movies sex videos hd porno video